Friday, October 26, 2012

Southern "Kolaches"


So I know a lot of you have never heard of this foreign word called Kolache, but they are absolutely amazing. You can get them at donut shops in Texas. Our family tradition was to go and buy donuts and Kolaches on Sundays, and then go home and read the Sunday newspaper. It was a blast, and I always loved that tradition. They also became a tradition to make them at home on Thanksgiving and Christmas mornings, so we would have plenty of room for the holiday meals. That is were this recipe originated!

But then I stopped eating red meat. So the kind of kolache I ate was out of the question. The original kolache has fruit in the middle, but in Texas, they used a breakfast sausage, cheese, and jalapeno for their fillings. And no, they are NOT pigs in a blanket. It's totally different.

But I found a miracle at the grocery store this week! TURKEY lil breakfast sausages! I was so excited! That means I can eat them again! So I grabbed all the ingredients and made them to see if they were up to my standards. They were, of course.

  

Yum yum in my tum tum! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.




No comments :

Post a Comment