Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake



There comes a day when you are just really proud of what you made and how amazing it looks, tastes, how easy it was for you to make, and you shine with pride and confidence.

The day I made this cake was that day.

I am always hesitant when making chocolate desserts. I hate dry, crumbly chocolate anything. Chocolate cake, brownies, and chocolate cookies are meant to be thick, fudgy, moist, and full of the richest flavor imagineable. You might understand when I say I am the pickiest chocolate cake connoisseur of all my friends and family. I try to explain to people that they shouldn't be offended if I take one bite and make a face then put the cake down without finishing it. Baker's Problems, amiright?

When I was putting this cake in the oven, I was extremely nervous. The batter didn't have the rich fudgy taste like brownies do, and I was worried that I made another bad cake. When I pulled it out of the oven, oh my lands it was like I pulled it out of heaven. The smell was wonderful and the batter I was worried about turned into a dark, moist chocolate cake that was to die for.

I don't think I can explain in words how good this cake is. I had people telling me it was better than any cake they had ever had in their life. Those are some strong words!

Don't worry, though! This is quite an easy recipe. Everything you need is already in your kitchen, especially if you drink… coffee. That's right! One of the secret ingredients is coffee! You can't taste it at all; it just adds a dimension of flavor. Do not leave it out!

Here are some tips on making this cake easily and stress free.

1. Made your coffee strong. You're going to make 1 + 1/2 cups of coffee. This is around a normal size coffee cup (16 oz). I have a brew 'n go, so I make one cup at a time. If you're using one of these, add about double what you normally drink unless what you normally drink is super strong. You want this coffee black black black.

2. Cool your coffee. You don't want to give yourself second degree burns on accident, so cool your coffee before you use it. It won't change the taste and it's not as scary.

3. Completely cool your cakes before frosting. If you don't, your frosting is going to slide right off. If you put it in the fridge, your cake is going to get hard and lose its flavor. Just plan ahead and cool your cakes completely before you frost it.

Another great thing about this cake is the frosting. Oh my word, this is the best frosting ever. Check out my How-To Tuesday post on this Dark Chocolate Buttercream so you get the fluffiest and smoothest buttercream. You won't regret it!

So here's to all my chocolate fans. The most indulgent chocolate cake you could ever hope for!


45 comments :

  1. May i get the recipe please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Connie, nope! The oil in this recipe gives it a great moist texture and the coffee adds a layer of complexity that pairs perfect with the cocoa powder and also keeps the cake very moist.

      Delete
  3. what is dark chocolate butter cream ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dark Chocolate Buttercream would be the name of the frosting with the ingredients underneath it. She just left out a space in between the ingredients above and the name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which cocoa? Alkalized or the lighter one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli at Confections + CoffeeMarch 3, 2014 at 4:56 PM

      Unsweetened Cocoa, like Hershey's or Nestle.

      Delete
  6. I don't see the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli @ Confections + CoffeeMay 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM

      Sometimes the internet browser won't load the recipe card right away. Try waiting a few seconds to see it come up or use a different internet browser.

      Delete
  7. This was the moistest cake I ever made. It's really good. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli @ Confections + CoffeeMay 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM

      Great, I'm glad you liked it! One of my favorites!

      Delete
  8. Can you make cupcakes with this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli @ Confections + CoffeeMay 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM

      Yes, you can! I've made them before, just follow the directions, but when you bake them, only bake for 15 minutes to start. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. If they're not done, bake for 3 minute intervals.

      Delete
  9. What does crumb coat the cake mean I live in Ireland and not sure what to do thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli @ Confections + CoffeeNovember 2, 2014 at 5:27 AM

      Eleanor, it just means to frost the layer with frosting and if crumbs get into the frosting it is okay. Basically it is just a thin layer of frosting. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  10. Looks delicious! I don't drink coffee-is there something I can substitute for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli @ Confections + CoffeeNovember 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

      Hi JaLeen! I haven't tried anything else but you could try just water, though it would lose a lot of flavor doing so and I can't guarantee good results.

      Instant coffee is cheap, though, and you could use that if you don't purchase coffee often.

      Kelli

      Delete
  11. If I wanted to make standard size cupcakes, what would you suggest for baking times and temperature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli @ Confections + CoffeeNovember 6, 2014 at 11:20 AM

      Hi Anon,

      You would use the same temperature, and bake them starting at 15 minutes and check the center for doneness. You can keep baking them for 3 minute intervals until they are done.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. Can't wait to try. Looks delicious.

      Delete
  12. Made this cake tonight....really- it is the.best!! Thanks for sharing this recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli @ Confections + CoffeeNovember 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM

      Thanks Rebecca, glad you liked it! :D

      Delete
  13. Made this cake for a friend's birthday and it was a hit! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli @ Confections + CoffeeMarch 6, 2015 at 8:54 AM

      So glad Anon! Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much for this recipe it is DELICIOUS!
    I substituted buttermilk for the cream in the frosting and it was divine!

    JaLeen, you could use tea instead of coffee, I would suggest a brown rice tea so it would have some of the nutty quality of coffee, I believe it is also decaf if that's a concern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. in the recipe it says bake 30-35 minutes, put in the printed version, it says 60 minutes. Which is correct? Also, the batter was very liquidy, is that the way it is suppose to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

      Yes, the batter is supposed to be very liquidy. :)

      Delete
    2. It is 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

      Yes, the batter is supposed to be very liquidy. :)

      Delete
    3. It is 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

      Yes, the batter is supposed to be very liquidy. :)

      Delete
  16. I made this cake for my family for christmas eve and I was a bit worried because it took longer to cook in my oven (around 45 min), and because I never made a chocolate cake without using any chocolate bar. Also I was afraid it was going to be too dry... but it was perfect ! really moist, and I think that the coffee brings out the flavor of the chocolate, we'll eat the rest tomorrow with homemade custard :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade custard sounds delicious! SO glad you liked it!

      Delete
  17. I made this cake for my son's birthday and I must say this recipe is a keeper... Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful and delicious cake. My family is getting crazy with the cake. I've made it four times and we can't get over it. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! So glad you liked it!

      Delete
  19. No recipe???? :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, it might be how you're looking it up. Sometimes different web browsers won't read it. Try refreshing it, or try a new browser. Thanks!

      Delete
  20. I made this cake for my sweetie for his birthday. That thang right there is seriously good eats!! The recipe was simple and the results were fantastic. The only problem I had was with the frosting. How much is 12 tablespoons of heavy cream and how is that small amount supposed to moisten 5.5 cups of powdered sugar and make it into a spreadable frosting? I ended up using 2 sticks of butter and a pint and a half of heavy cream. I must say the frosting, once made, was DIVINE. This will be the only chocolate cake recipe I will use from now on. This cake didn't make it a full 2 days in the house. Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a chocolate ganache instead of the buttercream and it was awesome! Not too rich or too sweet.

      Delete
    2. Kelli @ Confections + CoffeeDecember 31, 2016 at 8:00 AM

      Hi Anon! 12 tbsp is 3/4 cup. Normally I add very little liquid to frosting since the butter makes it creamy. Glad it was a hit in your house!

      Delete
  21. Hi, this is an awesome recipe. The cake baked beautifully and I only got positive feedback from everyone who was lucky enough to get a slice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli @ Confections + CoffeeDecember 31, 2016 at 8:01 AM

      Glad to hear that, coffee addict! A chocolate ganache sounds pretty tasty, too!

      Delete
  22. Hi there, your cake is getting such great reviews but I don't see the recipe listed and I tried to refresh and view it in different Web browsers. I am doing a chocolate cake dessert for a get together and would love to try yours out. Please let me know where to get the recipe or if you could send it to me. Thanks Mal

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nevermind, it just popped up. I got it. I'm so excited to try your cake. It looks amazing. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it popped up for you! Sometimes that recipe widget is so finicky! I hope you like it!

      Delete