Sunday, December 22, 2013

Chocolate Covered Sandwich Crackers

One of my favorite holiday traditions was baking things with my mom. I loved helping her in the kitchen with all the treats for the Christmas parties and the holiday parties. I know she loved it, too. I remember watching her make all the different treats and her showing me the best techniques to make it easy and stress-free.



These Chocolate Covered Sandwich Crackers were one of my favorites. I think they taste kind of Nutty Bars, which was one of my favorite and very unhealthy snacks. What can I say? I liked to indulge. 

Luckily I don't eat things like that anymore, but when I was making this recipe it was hard not to eat every other one I made. Peanut butter is my weakness!

Just a couple of tips to help you make this easy and stress-free, just like my mom taught me. 

1. Chill the sandwiches. It might sound weird, but pop the sandwich crackers in the fridge for about 20 minutes so. This will prevent the peanut butter from becoming a goopy mess when you coat it in chocolate. 

2. Use enough almond bark. You'll think you have enough with maybe half a pound of almond bark, but these puppies are pretty big and you'll want enough chocolate to where you're not scraping the bottom of the pot and taking so long the peanut butter will start melting. 

3. Coat the sandwiches twice. They will look better aesthetically and the double coating will be a perfect balance of chocolate to cracker to peanut butter ratio. You'll thank me later. 

4. Use wax paper. This will prevent the chocolate from getting all over the counters, the stove, and will save you clean up time. Just line a couple of cookie sheets with wax paper and work off of them. 

INGREDIENTS
1-2 packages of Ritz crackers
1 jar of peanut butter
1 lb of either chocolate or white chocolate (vanilla) almond bark

DIRECTIONS
1. Cover several cookie sheets with wax paper. Set aside.

2. Using a rubber spatula gently spread peanut butter onto the flat side of a Ritz cracker. Place another Ritz cracker flat side down on top and gently press together making a sandwich. Continue doing this until you have made a desired number of cracker sandwiches.

3. Place the cracker sandwiches in the fridge for 20 minutes.

4. In a pot, melt your almond bark on low heat, making sure not to burn it. One cracker sandwich at a time, gently place into the chocolate and coat. Using a fork, pick up the sandwich from the bottom and gently tap the excess almond bark off. Slide onto the wax paper.

5. Continue until all cracker sandwiches are coated. Once the coating is completely dry, coat each cracker sandwich a second time following the first step's intruction. Let the bark set completely.

5. If you choose to make both chocolate and white chocolate, use the left over bark to make a decorative drizzle on each cracker sandwich. Let the cracker sandwiches set before storing in an airtight container.

No comments :

Post a Comment