Monday, April 21, 2014

Spring-y Rice Krispy Treats

Welcome, Spring! It's so good to see you here!


Actually, in Oklahoma, we really only have two seasons: Tornado Season and Blizzard Season. Most people just call it summer and winter, but whatevs.

So Easter has come and gone, and it is so hard to believe we have just one more week in April. I feel like this year has flown by! Does this happen as you get older? Time just flashes? Oh well!

I was excited to make these for a spring time blog post because they are just so darn yummy! Do you eat Rice Krispy Treats? If you're anything like me, you can eat an entire 9" x 13" dish of rice krispy treats without blinking. I find them to be one of the most addicting sweets ever! That's why I don't make them too often, otherwise I'd be as round as a house!



This recipe is super simple, and literally only 5 ingredients, but I do have some tips for you to make these treats even better!

1. Don't skimp on the marshmallows. Normally, I'm not a brand snob when I'm in the kitchen. HOWEVER, there are a few things I don't skimp on when it comes to name brand items: vanilla extract, coffee, soda, chocolate chips, powdered sugar, and marshmallows.

No I am not kidding. Jet-Puff Marshmallows versus Great Value Marshmallows are two totally different things. Jet-Puffs are fluffy and light, like what a marshmallow would taste like, while great value is pretty dense for a marshmallow. No joke. Don't skimp.

2. Don't make these in a smaller dish. A smaller dish means a thicker treat, and these will scrape the roof of your mouth off if you compact them into a tiny 9" x 9" dish. Just use a 9" x 13" and you'll thank me later.

3. Grease your dish and your spoon well. I use canola oil cooking spray. It doesn't leave a nasty vegetable oil aftertaste on your treats and it makes it infinitely easier to press into the dish and pull out later to cut into bars. You can also spray the canola oil on your hands and press down like that.

4. Use the sprinkles! Sprinkles are so fun, and they add a fun and festive crunch to your treat! You'll love the extra color and so will your taste testers! Melted chocolate is also a great option, and adds a bit more flavor!


Here are two more tasty marshmallow treats!







No comments :

Post a Comment