Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches with a Cream Cheese Filling


It's spring and although Easter has come and gone, I will eat happily eat carrot cake from March to May… as well as June through February. I'm not biased to seasons when it comes to carrot cake.

If you read my thoughts on my post for Carrot Cake Banana Bread, you'll see that I am very very picky about the kind of carrot cake I eat. I don't like pineapple in it, I am not a fan of coconut or raisins in it, I just like simple, rich, moist, spicy carrot cake. I also just like it topped with a simple cream cheese frosting. That's it. Simple is sweet in my books.


I love cake, seriously love cake, but what I love more is cookies. Seriously. Ask anyone. I love cookies more than any other dessert. That's saying a lot because I love cake and pie. So when I saw carrot cake cookies, my mouth started drooling. Hello, that sounds like the best idea EVER.

Let's take it to another level and whip up some cream cheese frosting and make some tasty cookie sandwiches. I'll leave you to it!


INGREDIENTS
For the Cookie-
1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C quick oats
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 C light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 C finely grated carrots
3/4 C chopped walnuts or pecans
For the Filling-
4 oz cream cheese, softened
6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 + C powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well. Slowly add in dry until just incorporated. Stir in carrots until just incorporated. Fold in walnuts or pecans until just incorporated.

3. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll or drop the cookies on a parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Let cool completely before making sandwiches

4. For the filling - Cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth, then add salt and vanilla and powdered sugar until desired consistency has been reached.

5. To assemble - Turn a cookie wrong side up, spread cream cheese filling, and top with another cookie right side up. Store in the fridge in an air tight container.

No comments :

Post a Comment