Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Reese's Pieces Puppy Chow

It's that time of year where I've been ready for the fall since May. I'm ready to not look weird while baking pumpkin recipes, to be more precise. I got really excited yesterday for some reason, I just got really happy that fall is coming.
No, this is not Chauncey, but mark my words that I will try so hard to get a photo like this of him jumping in the leaves! I love it!

Anyways, before I decided to go hog wild on pumpkin recipes, I wanted to explore other options. I really feel like I haven't branched out as much as I wanted to in my recipes. So yesterday I was thinking about bringing a snack to a game night I'm invited to, and I wanted it to be quick, something I could make in advance, and something that wasn't refrigerated, because I'll be coming from another event, so the snack will have to be in my car for a while. Then...

Then I remembered Puppy Chow.


I haven't made nor have I eaten Puppy Chow in probably 4 or 5 years, right after it came out. I used to make it in high school and my family would bring it on vacations, but I really haven't made it in forever. I've been steadily seeing Puppy Chow (otherwise known as Muddy Buddies) on Pinterest for some time now and just haven't had the urge to make it. Hello, y'all, powdered sugar is crazy messy.

But yesterday was different. I figured puppy chow would be perfect for a game night, it's easy (albeit messy) to make, but I could whip up something different this time! And I did!


Oh yes. Reese's Pieces Puppy Chow. Now, I didn't do anything too drastic, but there is lots of peanut butter in here. I used THREE different kinds of Reese's peanut butter mediums: Reese's peanut butter baking chips, Reese's Pieces, and plain ol' Reese's peanut butter. That's right. The sell it down the pb&jelly aisle. I've been eying it for quite some time, but never had an excuse!


Ingredients:
8 C Rice Chex cereal, divided in half (4 cups each)
1/2 C Reese's peanut butter, divided in half (1/4 cup each)
1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 C Reese's peanut butter chips
1 1/2 C powdered sugar, divided in half (3/4 cup each)
1 1/2 C Reese's pieces

Directions:
1. On low heat, melt chocolate chips in one pan. Once melted, add in 1/4 C of the Reese's peanut butter. Mix together well. Toss in 4 cups of the Chex cereal and mix until the cereal is well coated in the chocolate mixture. Place the mixture in a large gallon ziploc bag with the 3/4 cup powdered sugar, and shake shake shake! Once the cereal pieces are well coated, place into an airtight container.

2. On low heat, repeat the first step with the Reese's peanut butter chips and 1/4 cup of the Reese's peanut butter. Mix together, stir in the cereal, and coat in powdered sugar!

3. Place both mixtures into the same bowl and cover with a lid, gently mix the pieces up so there is a little bit of both flavors in each bite. Add in the Reese's pieces, and you've got yourself a peanut butter fix ready to go!


No comments :

Post a Comment