Saturday, September 21, 2013

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread



We all know the reason behind making banana bread. Our bananas slowly start turning into nasty black fruits sitting on our counter/microwave/fruit basket and boy do they look scary. But we don't want to waste them even though our roommate/boyfriend/husband/significant other says they look ghastly and we need to throw them away.

Heaven forbid we waste black bananas! Which is why this recipe is coming to you today. That's just how us bakers are. I buy bananas to eat all the time and Jose usually ends up eating them because I forget, or I just don't have time or room in my stomach to eat them in the allotted time I'm given to eat them. Silly perishable food!

So this one is a winner. I have to be craving banana bread to eat it because I don't like the idea of mushed up bananas in my bread. I'm weird, I know. But this one... this one is different. It's got cinnamon sugar swirl inside the batter. It's got this nice crunch on the middle that contrasts delightfully with the moist banana bread itself. Yum.

I also decided to keep the bread naked. No glaze, no topping. It's good enough on it's own. Feel free to add whatever you may please on it! Sometimes I toast my banana bread and spread on a little bit of butter (that's only when I'm in Texas though).

INGREDIENTS
Banana Bread -
2 C all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 C light brown sugar
1/2 stick (or 4tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
2 mashed large bananas
1/3 C vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon-Sugar Swirl -
1/4 C granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

3. In a separate bowl, beat the brown sugar and butter until well blended. Add in the eggs one at a time. With a wooden spoon, stir in the mashed banana, oil, and vanilla. Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until just combined.

4. Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar filling and pour remaining batter on top.

5. Bake 40-45 minutes. Check to see if it's done by inserting a wooden toothpick in the middle to see if comes out clean. Let cool in the pan.

No comments :

Post a Comment