Saturday, March 9, 2013

Wedding Cake Cupcakes

I used to be skeptical about using cake mix or other "baking" mixes in my baking. That's not original enough! But then I thought about how busy I am with school and work that I sometimes just have to use shortcuts. I think that's perfectly okay. 


Look at this cupcake! Look at it! Isn't it beautiful??? It is. I know it is. I would totally eat one of these on my wedding day, that's for sure. Here is the original link to the recipe. Props to her!


Ingredients:

For the cake:
1 (18.25 ounce) box white cake mix
1 C all-purpose flour
1 C sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 C water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 C sour cream or greek yogurt
4 large egg whites

For the buttercream:
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 Tablespoons whipping cream
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans (you'll need approx. 36).

2. In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, flour, sugar and salt. Add remaining ingredients and beat with hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until well blended.

3. Use ice cream scoop to fill prepared cupcake tins- fill about 3/4 full. Bake about 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Buttercream:
1. In a large bowl, with a hand or stand mixer, cream together sugar and butter on low speed. Mix until well blended. Increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.

2. Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for desired spreading/piping consistency.

3. Scoop into a piping bag and pipe decoratively onto cupcakes, or spread onto cupcakes as desired.

No comments :

Post a Comment