Thursday, August 22, 2013

Churro Cookies

Howdy y'all! I hope you lovely readers have been enjoying the last few days of summer. I know most of y'all have family going back to school, or maybe you're going back yourself! But this time of year brings exciting things to the table. Such as the state fairs that will be opening soon here in Oklahoma and in Texas!



State fairs are a wonderful thing. I really enjoy people watching, the bright lights, the super sugary/greasy food, and the exhibits. Growing up, I went to the Houston rodeos and fairs, but when I moved up to Oklahoma I quit going. It wasn't until about 3 years ago that I started going back, and I am so glad! Now I don't know about you, but I definitely don't ride the rides or play the games (unless it's really calling to me), but I still have loads of fun.

This year I'm entering the Oklahoma State Fair baking contest! I have 6 entries to fulfill and I am super excited about it! Right now I'm testing cookies. One of the contests it to create 4-7 different cookies and place them in an attractive wide-mouth cookie jar that is decorated with the fair's theme (Dream Big). Luckily, I am a designer and a baker, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one!

So that's where this recipe came from. I wanted to make themed cookies! How fun is that! One of the best things to get at the fair is a churro! You will love this cookie. It's flaky in texture with a sweet soft center, crunchy on the outside and a nice sweet cinnamon sugar coating.

Churros are a Mexican fried-dough pastry covered in cinnamon sugar. I wanted to emulate that in a cookie. So I took some pastry dough, add a cream cheese mixture, baked for a few minutes, then covered in butter and cinnamon sugar. They were a hit, everyone who tried them loved them!

Another reason you will love this recipe is because it only calls for six ingredients!



Ingredients:
4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 C. white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 rolled refrigerated pie crusts

For the coating:
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 C. white sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper.

2. Mix together the cream cheese, the 1/4 C. white sugar and the vanilla extract.

3. Unroll one of the pastry crusts, spread the cream cheese mixture over the whole crust, and place the second pastry crust on top.

4. Using a round cookie cutter (mine was about 1 1/2" in diameter), cut out the dough. Using a fork, seal the edges of the cookies.

5. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes until firm and slightly golden. Let them cool completely.

6. While the cookies cool, mix together the cinnamon and 1/2 C. white sugar in a bowl.

7. Take the melted butter and a brush, coat both sides of the cookie with butter and coat in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Continue until you have coated all the cookies!

No comments :

Post a Comment