Thursday, August 29, 2013

Cheddar Cheese Crackers


I remember growing up and my favorite snack was always something cheesy. Whether it be Cheetos, Cheez-its, Chips & Queso, or just sliced cheese. I have always loved cheese, and it's the only reason I can't give up dairy. I just love cheese too much! Milk, yogurt and butter are not necessary in my life. I use flax butter if I need it, I don't drink milk, and I don't like the texture of yogurt. So... cheese is left on the dairy train!

I used to always, and I do mean ALWAYS, grab Cheez-its and a Pepsi or Diet Dr. Pepper for a snack when I was in high school/college/any time I wanted a snack. It was my go to! Lately though, I'm just trying to make more snacks at home and eat more fruit and veggies. It's pretty hard when I have such intense cravings for Cheez-its all the time. But alas! I found this recipe!

Cheddar Cheese Crackers sound just like what they are. Cheddar cheese, flour, butter, some spices, and that's it! Such a simple recipe, and easy to put together and bake.

The original recipe did some things different from what I did. First off, instead of using a cookie cutter and taking a million years to cut out the little crackers, I sliced my dough from the ball I made, which is why they have a wedge shape. These are a great size to top with anything you want (if you want, but I like them as is!). You can roll them out or you can shape these into a log or what have you and slice them. Neat!


Ingredients:

Crackers:
4 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
8 oz. cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 C all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cold water, plus more if needed

Spices:
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp paprika

 Directions:
1. Using a food processor, toss in your cheddar cheese and pulse into a fine grain-like texture. You want these pieces to be quite small so they mix well.

2. Once processed, place into a bowl with butter, salt and pepper. Beat together the 4 ingredients until it becomes a soft consistency. Slowly add in flour.

3. After the flour is added, the mixture should be dry and crumbly. Add the two tablespoons of water and beat until it forms a somewhat formed ball. If it's too dry, add a little bit of water at a time.

4. Split the dough in half and add the garlic powder, chili powder and paprika to one half of the mixture. Knead it together so the spices become well incorporated. Shape each dough section into a nice round shape. Wrap both balls of dough in separate plastic wrap and let chill for a few hours or over night.

5. After the dough is chilled, take out of the fridge and get ready to slice! Preheat the over to 375 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

6. Cut the balls into thin wedges and place on a sheet. They don't expand much so you can place them close together. Bake for 13 minutes until they start to brown at the edges and have a nice crisp to them. Allow to cool completely before storing.

No comments :

Post a Comment