Sunday, March 11, 2012

Black Bean Soup

Well hey there blog readers. It has been a while. A long long while. I am currently in my upteenth semester taking 17 hours and having an internship and a job. Bad decision, by the way. Anyways, back to the point of you being here!

About a month ago, I bought some dry black beans at Wally World and remember the other day that I still had some soaking in the fridge. Oops! Luckily, it takes forever for black beans to go bad, so I went ahead and decided to cook them.

My first thought was black bean burritos, but then I remember that I had tried black bean soup at a local restaurant and LOVED it. So I went on a mission to find a delicious recipe for Mexican-style black bean soup.

I found the recipe here and liked most of the recipe. But if I liked the entire recipe, then this blog wouldn't exist, however... I changed it.

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons EVOO
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
3 teaspoons chili powder
A large pinch of fresh cilantro
3 15 oz cans of black beans
Black pepper, to taste
Pico de Gallo
Shredded cheese

DIRECTIONS
1. In a large pot, pour the oil and drop the onion into the pan, turn it on medium-low heat, and let it sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, chili powder and cilantro.

3. Puree 1 can of black beans, undrained, and place in the pot. Add another can, also undrained. Drain the last can and pour in to the pot.

5. Let is simmer on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Add any extra spices to taste.

6. Serve warm with pico, cheese, sour cream, or any of your preferred toppings.

No comments :

Post a Comment