Saturday, December 31, 2011

Homemade Flour Tortillas

I love making things from scratch. They just taste a million times better. I grew up in Houston, therefore homecookin' and Mexican food are my two favorite cuisines. Mmmmmm.

I happened upon this recipes because a long time ago, I made homemade flour tortillas at my grandma's house, and I could never figure out how to make the recipe again, so I started searching around and found this...

Let me just say: ah. may. zing.  They were just like I remembered. Flaky, delicious, thick, and perfect! And soooo easy to make.

I only have this one photo, but I'll be making them again soon, so I will post a picture then.

INGREDIENTS
3 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
3/4 c. shortening
3/4 c. hot water

DIRECTIONS
1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Using your hands or a pastry cutter or fork, cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Add in the hot water to make it moist.

2. With hand or fork, knead dough. Once it's kneaded, cover with a towel and let it rest for an hour.

3. Pull apart 10-12 balls. Using a rolling pin or a tortilla press flatten them to about an 1/8 inch thickness.

4. Cook in a skillet for 1-2 minutes until they are no longer doughy.

No comments :

Post a Comment